Popular Brand Category
Fine Finishing with Flat Chisels
A chisel is a tool with a long metal blade that ends in a sharp edge. It is used to shape and cut wood and stone. As the point and tooth chisels, the flat chisel tool is a hand-held metal instrument that is hit with a metal hammer or, in rare situations, a wooden hammer or a wooden mallet. It is made up of a shaft with a flat and sharpened cutting edge that runs perpendicular to the shaft's line. The cutting edge's width can range from 0.5 to 10 cm, with the wider varieties being referred to as bolsters or droves. The profile of its cutting edge's corners shows much more variance.
The Right Way to Use the Flat Chisel Tool
A flat chisel tool is used to cut and chip thin metal sheets, plates, round rods, and other materials. While using a chisel, keep the following considerations in mind:
- --> On the metal or wood that is to be cut, precise marking should be done.
- --> Always use your left hand to wield the chisel and your right hand to hold the hammer.
- --> Set the chisel on the specified line, then smack the hammer on the head. It is necessary to re-set the chisel before striking the second blow.
- --> When using a chisel, it's important to focus on the cutting edge.
- --> Strike the chisel's head in the middle with the hammer.
Necessary Precautions Before Using Flat Head Chisel
The significant precautions that need to be taken care of while using a flat head chisel or chisels, on the whole, are as follows:
- --> When chipping, we must wear safety eyewear at all times.
- --> While chipping, keep your back to the wall.
- --> If you have someone working in front of you, you should install a chipping guard at the back of the vice to keep chips from hitting him.
- --> Never perform chipping with the mushroom head chisel.
- --> The chisel head and face of the hammer used for chipping should be free of any oily substance.
- --> Do not chip the material with a highly lengthy chisel.
- --> We should maintain applying lubricant to the chisel's edge while chipping.
Actual Application of Flat Cold Chisel
A metal that is softer than the material from which the chisel is constructed will be cut by a flat cold chisel. Cold chisels have a beveled cutting edge and a handle made of hardened steel in octagon shape. Although the cutting edge of the cold chisel is flat, related chisels are wedge-shaped (cape chisel), half-round, diamond-shaped, or round.
Cold chisels are used to break castings, cut rivets, split nuts, or bolts that refuse to come loose. Sheet metal can also be cut with them. Metal chisels with different-shaped edges are used for grooving and shaping corners, among other things.
Because a huge chisel will absorb much of the force of a small hammer strike and produce little or no cutting, the heavier the hammer required is proportional to the size of the chisel.
Buy Flat Chisels at Moglix
Moglix is a well-known B2B e-commerce site that provides industrial, mechanical, and business-oriented products at premium quality and suiting customer preference. Major brands such as Visko, Universal Tools, Facom, Lovely, Stanley, etc., offer premium quality flat chisels at the best price. Now choose the payment mode that is best for you and get the product delivered to your doorstep.